Friday, October 12, 2012

Mens LA Fashion Week Launch Party!

Good morning! I'm up and ready for a full day of school, but thought I'd tell my stories from last night first! It was a launch party in downtown LA. The place was really cool looking! I got hired for the job when sitting on a bench at a mall waiting for my mom; the founder of MLAF (Pamela) came up to me and asked if I would be interested in the job! I thought it sounded fun, so I immediately said yes and got all of her contact information. When I arrived last night, I had absolutely no idea what I was suppose to be doing and was a little bit shocked when I was told that I had to gather the name, title, and email address of everyone walking the red carpet and I also had to set up interviews with a TV station that was there and  introduce each celebrity guest to Pamela herself, who is a shorter woman who was walking around this HUGE party. My job was going to be a handful for the evening!

My number one concern about my job was that I have NO idea who any famous people are and tend to be slightly socially awkward. I had to pin-point the "important" people myself as they entered the party and find their publicist to gather their information. Occasionally I couldn't find the publicist for a given person so I would go up to them myself and ask if they were important, I got some crazy looks from that question! I went up to one man (who's name I do not remember) and asked his name...he gave me a shameful look and said it. I then asked for his "title", and all he could say was "Really?". Apparently he was a big deal! He said actor then continued to give me his information...but I don't think he liked me that much! :P

Through my awkward social skills, however, I made a lot of friends! By the end of the night I had all of the Red Carpet Guests finding me to give me a hug before they left! I even have a girl attempt to kiss me and ask me for my number at the end of the night...that was weird!

During the down time at the red carpet (everyone came within the first hour) I got myself in a little bit of mischief! Me and this body-guard-ish HUGE model had a interpretive dance contest...which we both rocked at! We did the lawn mower, the sprinkler, the window washer, and a bunch of other pro dance moves! I think he won when he went onto the floor and did the worm, however.
At one point I was REALLY thirsty and made the decision that I was going to travel across the entire venue to the bar to get myself some water. Along the way, I tripped over somebody's foot and fell into the ground, got up, and kept going. There was a huge group of people that I did not want to walk around so I figured I would climb over the convenient chair sitting between he people and the wall. As I was climbing over it my shoe (along with my whole foot) got stuck in a cushion. I was in a little ball trying to get it out, and got sent rolling onto the floor in between the big group as it got un-stuck, but once again, got up and continued on my journey for water. I was a little off-guard because of what just happened and ended up walking into a curtain, yanking it down, and once again falling onto my face. I was ready for my water when I finally made it to the bar.

Fashion parties are a place to network yourself. Because it was Mens fashion week, all of the designers at the event were for male clothing lines, so networking wasn't as possible for me as it was for all of the guy models there (I was the only girl model), but, I met a lot of great people and did make some good contacts which will hopefully benefit my career in the future!

Last night was REALLY something most high school girls don't do on a typical Thursday night, but it was super fun! I am so happy that I got to be apart of such a cool event and was able to have such a fun night! :)

*Here is a picture from before the party began of me and the check-in ladies!


No comments:

Post a Comment